Friday, January 21, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Twists, Birthday Card, Trip to Corsicana

I did something that felt positively decadent a few days ago.  I spent a whole day having fun!  After dropping the kids off at school, I drove about 90 miles to meet my friend, Leah, who moved to Temple last summer, halfway between our homes.  Corsicana, TX is not a large town, but we found plenty to do.  We met at the famous Collin Street Bakery http://www.collinstreet.com/ for coffee and a danish (mine was cream cheese and pecan, and divine!).  We spent about an hour just catching up.  I gave her the card I had made for her birthday, and we went to check out a scrapbook supply store we had heard about called  "Scrappin' Good Time" and browsed the selection of  scrapbook  tools and embellishments. I found some great card making supplies for Valentine's Day, as well as some fun pet-themed paper.  The owner was very friendly, and we were thrilled to learn that she will be opening a scrapbook retreat center in Corsicana this spring!  It will be a perfect spot for us to get together and catch up on each other's lives and our scrapbooks!  After we left the store, we browsed an antique mall and then went to a cafe to attempt to eat a monster portion of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, butter beans and peach cobbler.  It was southern cooking at it's best.  We rolled ourselves out of the cafe' and said our goodbyes--she made it to Temple and I made it to Tyler just in time to pick up our kids from school.  On the way there and back, I listened to Janet Evanovich's "Four to Score"; one of my favorite books on CD.  The family and my home survived me being away for a whole day, and it was such a welcome break from my usual routine.  I'm thinking this is something Leah and I should do every few weeks...
Recipe:  Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Twists  Preheat oven according to directions on one package of Pillsbury's Original Breadsticks.  Separate dough into individual breadsticks. Melt 1/2 stick of butter or margerine in a shallow dish.  Pull 1 side of each breadstick through melted butter, and then dip that side into a shallow dish of  a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.  Twist breadstick and place on cookie sheet.  Repeat with other breadsticks and bake until golden brown.  This is one of my kids' favorite breakfast treats--mine, too!
It is almost midnight, and I have to get up early tomorrow, so that's all for tonight.  I hope you have a chance soon to spend a day having fun!  Lisa

1 comment: