Saturday, January 29, 2011

Garlic Cheese Biscuits, Title Placement, Michelle's Recipe File Idea

One of my favorite cookbook authors, Christy Jordan of  "The Southern Plate",  posted a marvelous quote on Facebook a few days ago:  "There are always flowers for those who wish to see them."~Henri Matisse.  I love this quote!  So much of my contentment and happiness in life depends on how content or happy I choose to be; if I focus on the positve, I am much happier, even though my circumstances are the same.  I have been reading the book of Philippians every day this month (okay, almost every day) and Paul's joy and contentment are so evident.  Sometimes I find myself complaining about silly things when people ask me how I am doing.  For some reason, I have a hard time saying "I am great!  I have a God who loves me, a wonderful husband who still rocks my world after 24 years, two beautiful, smart, healthy children, a comfortable home and good health."  It sounds like bragging.  So, instead, I come up with some minor thing to complain about.  And I probably come across as being negative, which doesn't really show who I am and how I feel.  So, from now on, I am going to try to answer people who ask me how I am doing with a heartfelt, "Great!  How are you?"

The recipe for today can turn a simple soup or salad into a memorable meal--it's that good!
Recipe:  Garlic Cheese Biscuits Preheat oven to 450.  Mix together 2 cups Bisquick, 2/3 cup milk, 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1/8 tsp. garlic powder until a soft dough forms.  (I use Heart Healthy Bisquick  with excellent results.  If you don't have Bisquick, simply use 2 cups of flour with 1 Tbsp. of  baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt).  Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  While biscuits are baking, stir together 2 Tbsp. melted butter or margerine and 1/8 tsp. garlic powder.  Brush butter mixture over the tops of warm biscuits. Makes about 9 biscuits.  I sometimes eliminate the garlic in the butter mixture and add cooked crumbled bacon to the dough to make a great breakfast biscuit to serve with scrambled eggs, although my family prefers them with the extra garlic and no bacon.  I, however, think bacon makes everything better!  Make them both and decide for yourself!

Scrapbooking Tip:  Move that title around!  I was looking through this month's edition of Creating Keepsakes http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/ and fell in love with a winter snow layout.  I couldn't figure out what in particular drew my eye so much to this layout, and finally it hit me.  It was the title placement.  The title was in the lower left hand corner, something I almost never do.  I usually run my titles across the top, down the left hand side or in the upper left hand corner.  By placing the title in the lower left hand corner, my attention was captured.  Such a simple idea, but one I don't typically do.  This is a perfect example of why I love to look at other people's scrapbook pages--they give me great ideas and encourage me to get out of design ruts.

Homemaking Idea: Recipe file box  A couple of  years ago, my friend Michelle was looking through some of her recipes and planning what to cook for her church's Wednesday evening meal.  I noticed she had a file folder labeled "Salads".  I asked if she had her recipes in file folders and she said, "Yes!  Please tell me you are not still folding 81/2 x 11 sheets of paper to fit in one of those little file card recipe boxes."  I sheepishly admitted that yes, I was, even though most of my recipes were on larger sheets of paper.  The very next day, she brought me 12 of the most beautiful floral file folders so that I could start my own large size recipe file.  I bought a red, fabric covered file box for storage and I have used this system ever since.  I love it!  Thanks, Michelle.  Some people have the gift of giving, and you definintely do!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and that you see flowers!  Love, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment